A Brief History of Pine Terraceby Ed Veranth

Cheyenne Mountain is named for the Cheyenne people who settled on the east side of the mountain. In 1867 William Dixon, a rancher, claimed a homestead in the Cheyenne Mountain foothills and built a trail and later a toll road up Cheyenne Mountain which is now known as  Old Stage Road to Cripple Creek.

Cheyenne Mountain became a successful recreational and resort area when Spencer Penrose developed The Broadmoor resort in 1918 and purchased the land on top and east of Cheyenne Mountain. On top of the mountain he build Cheyenne Mountain Lodge, now Cloud Camp,  visitors to the Lodge could make their way up the Cheyenne Mountain Highway on the backs of elephants. In 1926 The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo was established to house the growing collection of exotic animals collected by Penrose.

In 1938 The Broadmoor began rail service from the Hotel to the Zoo passing over and under what is now Pine Terrace.  In 1950 The Broadmoor ordered a redesigned train from Cadillac which is shown to the left. The train consisted of two coaches, each seating 20 persons, and an engine that pushed the train up the grade from behind, and then backed down.  The train named the Mountaineer made its way along the two miles of narrow gage cog rail track, through four tunnels, lush scrub oak and pine to the Zoo. The train was abandoned in 1974.

The Broadmoor Resort’s land holding company began to develop the land east of Cheyenne Mountain and in 1984 relocated buffalo grazing at the corner of the Zoo Road and Cheyenne Mountain Boulevard to create Pine Terrace. The community was Developed by The David R. Sellon Company and Built by Vantage Development Company. New owners of the duplex and triplex homes were offered a selection of five floor plans and sizes ranging from 3,600 to over 5,000 square feet. In the early 1990s the Sellon Company left the project and The Broadmoor holding company replatted the unbuilt portion of Pine Terrace and sold the lots for detached townhomes. There are 51 lots and at present 49 homes.A Brief History of Pine Terrace by Ed Veranth

Cheyenne Mountain is named for the Cheyenne people who settled on the east side of the mountain. In 1867 William Dixon, a rancher, claimed a homestead in the Cheyenne Mountain foothills and built a trail and later a toll road up Cheyenne Mountain which is now known as  Old Stage Road to Cripple Creek.

Cheyenne Mountain became a successful recreational and resort area when Spencer Penrose developed The Broadmoor resort in 1918 and purchased the land on top and east of Cheyenne Mountain. On top of the mountain he build Cheyenne Mountain Lodge, now Cloud Camp,  visitors to the Lodge could make their way up the Cheyenne Mountain Highway on the backs of elephants. In 1926 The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo was established to house the growing collection of exotic animals collected by Penrose.

In 1938 The Broadmoor began rail service from the Hotel to the Zoo passing over and under what is now Pine Terrace.  In 1950 The Broadmoor ordered a redesigned train from Cadillac which is shown to the left. The train consisted of two coaches, each seating 20 persons, and an engine that pushed the train up the grade from behind, and then backed down.  The train named the Mountaineer made its way along the two miles of narrow gage cog rail track, through four tunnels, lush scrub oak and pine to the Zoo. The train was abandoned in 1974.

The Broadmoor Resort’s land holding company began to develop the land east of Cheyenne Mountain and in 1984 relocated buffalo grazing at the corner of the Zoo Road and Cheyenne Mountain Boulevard to create Pine Terrace. The community was Developed by The David R. Sellon Company and Built by Vantage Development Company. New owners of the duplex and triplex homes were offered a selection of five floor plans and sizes ranging from 3,600 to over 5,000 square feet. In the early 1990s the Sellon Company left the project and The Broadmoor holding company replatted the unbuilt portion of Pine Terrace and sold the lots for detached townhomes. There are 51 lots and at present 49 homes..